|a) Why is a Parkinson Center (PC) needed?|
- Parkinson's Disease (PD) is becoming a major health burden
PD is a brain disorder that causes tremor (trembling of hands) and slowness of movement. It is most common after the age of 60. Although there is no official statistics on the number of people with Parkinsonís in the country, It is estimated that about 15,000 to 20,000 patients suffer from PD in Malaysia . As there is no cure for PD and the proportion of elderly people in the population is increasing, the number of PD patients is expected to rise.
- The treatment of PD requires a multidisciplinary team approach
PD results in long-term physical, social and mental disability. Thus, a multidisciplinary team is required to tackle the various problems faced by patients. This team consists of; physicians (drug treatment), physiotherapy (active exercise of muscles to maintain mobility), rehabilitation (effort to restore the physical, mental and occupational function), dietitian (expert in dietary habits), psychiatrists, etc. These services are available at the hospitals but the effectiveness is limited by the lack of manpower and excessive patient volume. Thus, the services available at the Parkinson Center help to relieve the workload of hospital staff.
|b) What are the objectives of the Parkinson Center?|
- To provide a "patient-oriented" multidisciplinary patient care
- To provide health education
Group discussions (group therapy) that cover various aspects of PD can help patients / caregivers understand the illness and learn how to cope with problems. In the hospitals, doctors often do not have time to educate patients / caregivers due to time constraints.
- To provide emotional support
Most PD patients have significant emotional disturbances such as anxiety and depression. The support group can help patients to accept and cope with their new illness.
|c) What is the set up of the Parkinson Center?|
This consists of the following:
- Secretariat of MPDA.
- Gymnasium - a place where patients undergo physiotherapy and rehabilitation. Various equipment will be available such as parallel bars, weight-lifting machine, etc.
- Rest room.
- Entertainment room - television, radio, games (chess), etc.
- PC staff - medical staff (physicians, physiotherapists, volunteers, etc).
35 Jalan Nyaman 10, Happy Garden,|
58200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel : 03 7980 6685 Fax†: 03 7982 6685
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org