PERSATUAN PARKINSON MALAYSIA
May 7th 2008
MALAYSIAN PARKINSON'S DISEASE ASSOCIATION
(Reg. No. 5642/94 Selangor)
Tax Exemption No: LHDN.01/35/42/51/179-6.4524
We refer to an article which appears in The New Straits Time on Friday, May 2nd 2008 titled "Lloyd Tan takes stigma out of Parkinson's". The article states that Dr. Chew Nee Kong will be launching the book "Selfless Warrior" in tribute to the late Mr. Lloyd Tan, the founding father of the Malaysian Parkinson's Disease Association (MPDA) on May 10th, 2008 at the Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya. All proceeds from the sales of the book will go to the Lloyd Tan Trust Fund which will also be launched on May 10th. The Lloyd Tan Trust Fund is to aid Parkinson's patients who need to undergo Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) surgery.
It was also reported in the article that to honor the late Mr. Lloyd Tan's birthday on May 8th, the MPDA has declared May 8th as Malaysian Parkinson's Day.
The MPDA wishes to clarify the following matters:
- The perception and implication of the article is that the whole event on May 10th is linked and endorsed by the MPDA. This is further supported by the fact that MPDA members have been sent invitations to the launch without the knowledge of the Central Committee of the MPDA who is the sole owner of the members' mailing list. All programs and events planned for the MPDA members need to have the approval of the Central Committee.
- The "Lloyd Tan Trust Fund" gives the perception that MPDA will be the custodian of the Fund.
- The information that May 8th is Malaysian Parkinson's Day as stated by Dr. Chew Nee Kong in the article is wrong and tantamount to mislead the public as MPDA had already celebrated the World Parkinson's Day on April 12th 2008 at Padang Astaka. World Parkinson's Day falls on 11 April each year
- The MPDA wishes to inform the public that Dr. Chew Nee Kong is no longer the Medical Advisor of the MPDA since May 2007. As such, he no longer represents or is authorized to act on behalf of MPDA.
- The MPDA also states that it is not in any manner whatsoever involved in this book and trust fund launch.
Hence, the MPDA would like to inform the members of MPDA and the public that MPDA has no association with the above event to be held on May 10th at the Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya.